Sending this scarred young warrior wolf out today! This is a customer-provided hide that I mounted for a headdress. A tear in the muzzle had been sewn up by the seller, and neither the customer nor I knew that it was there until I rehydrated it and tried to stretch the face over the form for a test fit. It’s then that I realized something was ‘off’ about the way the wolf’s nose was positioned.
A quick inspection showed some very deft stitch-work on the muzzle, which I tediously un-did to reveal a unique-looking gash on this beast’s face. I contacted the customer, offering to patch it, but she suggested that I leave it as-is instead, and wanted it to be turned into a scar.
It’s hard to see with the crappy laptop cam, but I made the scar area slightly glossy so that it looks like partially-healed tissue beneath the fur. I did this is part to avoid making it look too bloody and gross, and because it adds a bit of dimension to the finished piece. I really loved working on this project, so am a little sad to see it go!